Interior Design Basics: Creating Your Dream Bedroom
Contrary to popular belief, bedroom interior design is a vital part of home renovation. Since the bedroom is your personal space, it’s necessary to make comfort as an important element of your interior design plans. When planning your bedroom’s interior, do keep two things in mind:
The Essentials of Bedroom Interior Design
- The ambiance should be relaxing. Here’s a handy tip for a good night’s sleep: don’t work in your bedroom. The focus of your bedroom’s interior design should be relaxation, so remove everything that can cause stress or distraction like computers and work documents. Instead, bring in your favorite books and aromatic candles to help you relax.
- You should personalize your bedroom. If there’s a room in your house where you can be as quirky as you want to be in terms of interior design, it’s your bedroom. Invest in a canopied bed if it strikes your fancy, provided you have enough space. Love the stars? It’s your chance to have your own star ceiling made with either glow paint or fiber optics.
Interior Design Tips: How to Decorate a Small Bedroom
Small space might limit your bedroom design options, but it shouldn’t keep you from creating your own little sanctuary. Make the most out of your space with these tips:
- Buy the bed first. The bed is your bedroom’s focal point, so take your time in picking the right one. Choose a bed that is appropriate for the size of the room, and use it as a scale for the rest of your furnishings. Here’s a rule of thumb in bedroom interior design: leave enough walking space between your dresser, your bed, and your reading nook.
- Pick the right colors. Your bedroom is the ideal place to let your personality shine, but that doesn’t mean you should choose colors haphazardly. After all, color is an integral part of interior design. When working with small spaces, your best bet is to use a light color scheme in order to open up the space and create the illusion of a larger room. If you prefer dark colors, settle for rich, earthy tones like browns and deep reds to create a warm and cozy atmosphere. Be cautioned, however, that an improperly-executed dark color scheme can make a room look smaller. If you want to be on the safe side, use neutral colors on your walls and accentuate with dark colors instead.
- Tidy up. Maximizing space is sometimes a matter of reducing the clutter. To ensure that you have enough space for the essentials, make storage solutions a primary consideration in your interior design. To save space, choose containers that you can easily slide under the bed. If you want to add a chair, opt for one with a hollow body and a removable seat. This way, it can also double up as a storage bin for sundries.
Planning the interior design for a small bedroom can be challenging, but it’s very fulfilling once you get it right. Ultimately, bedroom interior design is all about creating a space where you can unwind, especially after a long day at work.